Wednesday, April 24, 2013

First day


 Yesterday really felt like the first day of Spring.

First thing in the morning, as the sunlight streamed through Nik's bedroom window, I changed our nature table for spring.  Keeping it sparse, just like our pokey spring, I still included a couple flowers, and a few little fairies to help get things moving. 

 

 I opened the windows and then, inspired by two books I am paging through right now, 'Fifteen Minutes Outside' and 'The Rhythm of Family', I went outside with my kids in both the morning and the afternoon.

We kicked at the snow and ice, and opened the sandbox. 


 Our neighbourhood was waking up from a sleepy winter.  The sunshine inspired the birds to sing, and the boys across the street to come out and jump their skateboards and scooters.  Seniors, and new parents with strollers walked by on the back path, and the young and fit jogged past them.

We unlocked the shed and pulled out the outside toys.  The kids found the sidewalk chalk and got to work brightening our play equipment.




There was a chill on the ground, but warmth in the air, and it really felt like something was beginning.  Fresh air in my lungs.  Mud on my pants.

Eventually, Nik tried to cross the back ditch, insisting to me that the snow was strong enough to support his weight.  As he winter boots filled with water, I knew we would be heading in to warm up soon.  Three sets of fresh clothes later, we settled down at our living room table for a tea party, to celebrate mud and birdsong and the first day of many outdoor days to come.



No comments:

Post a Comment